Through this recruitment, the MFSA is looking for applicants with a strong academic and career background to maintain its pool of technical expertise in applied economics and finance. The eventual appointee will be appointed at a middle-management level and will form part of a multidisciplinary team of analysts within the Regulatory Development Unit.
o A University Honours Degree in Economics or a comparable recognised qualification at MQF level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
o A related Post-Graduate Degree.
o Applicants are expected to have proven work experience in risk and/or quantitative analysis, including econometric modelling related to financial services, with a required minimum of five (5) years and preferably with eight (8) years.
o Experience in financial stability or macro-related work will be considered an asset
The selected candidate will undertake duties of an analytical and managerial nature in line with the Unit’s responsibilities as follows:
- Prepare analytical reports, briefings and policy-related documents on financial, economic and regulatory issues related to the Unit’s areas of responsibility;
- Contribute to specific work streams for the development of effective regulatory frameworks and systems to meet MFSA objectives;
- Contribute to the MFSA’s capacity to process and analyse qualitative and quantitative information;
- Contribute to the MFSA’s capacity to develop specialisation in specific areas of financial services activity;
- Conduct quantitative projects including econometric and financial modelling;
- Provide analytical input in relation to various regulatory issues and initiatives related
to the Unit’s areas of responsibility based on the relevant expertise;
- Research and monitor financial market innovation and/or financial stability risk
and/or other supervisory trends and developments falling within the assigned areas of
- Prepare technical papers;
- Advise and act as a point of reference to other members of staff in his/her area of
- Contribute actively to the formulation and execution of the Unit’s research
- Review and provide technical feedback on working documents;
- Participate in and/or lead working groups responsible for particular projects; and
- Attend technical meetings at EU, National and inter-Unit level.
Soft Skills Required
- demonstrates analytical acumen and an ability to develop solutions to address issues in hand;
- establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with staff and management at all levels;
- ability to advise and share information with team members and lead specific working groups as delegated by senior management;
- comfortable working in a numerical/quantitative environment;
- disposition to tackle technology-related issues and/or tasks;
- prioritises tasks and pays attention to detail, even when under time pressure;
- is aware of the impact that his/her actions have on others;
- feels at ease working in a multidisciplinary environment;
- shows commitment to the achievement of organisational goals;
- ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative when required;
- ability to trace the next steps as well as new strands of research related to the units’ strategic objective on his/her own initiative;
- well-developed written and verbal communication skills.