Senior Manager (Policy) Banking Supervision Unit
|Job Title:||Senior Manager (Policy) Banking Supervision Unit|
|Job Published:||February 27, 2018 10:01|
The Banking Supervision Unit (BSU) of the MFSA is entrusted with the on-site and ongoing surveillance of licensed banks and non-bank financial institutions.
Purpose behind the Recruitment
Through this recruitment, the MFSA is looking for applicants with a related academic background and with solid experience in the financial services sector. This recruitment is required to fill the post which is currently vacant and as a result, increase the current pool of internal expertise in this particular area in view of the integration within the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). The recruitment will cater for the substantially increased demands arising from the supervisory function carried out by the European Central Bank (ECB) and inter alia the MFSA through the BSU, to undertake all the processes, procedures, tasks and methodologies as laid down in the ECB’s Framework Regulation and Supervisory Manual.
The selected applicant will take the responsibility for the management of the Policy section within the BSU. This role involves managing work relating to the transposition of EU legislation into the local legal framework, legal advice given to on-going and onsite experts, and the review of documentation relating to the participation by BSU officials in a number of EBA and SSM meetings. The Senior Manager (Policy) reports to the Deputy Director (Policy and Financial Institutions).
- A University of Malta Honours Degree or equivalent qualification in a financial services related discipline, including Accountancy or Economics or Law (LL.D) or in an area which is otherwise considered relevant to the functions and duties attached to this post, or a comparable recognised qualification at NQF level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
- Possession of a post graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset.
- Applicants would be expected to have worked within the banking sector, with a required minimum of eight (8) years and preferably with twelve (12) years working experience.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of regulatory requirements applicable to the banking sector.
The selected candidate will be involved in all aspects falling within the supervisory oversight of the Unit, including, amongst others, responsibility:
- to assist in the day-to-day running of the Unit’s Policy Section;
- to co-ordinate the work of analysts under his/her responsibility;
- over policy related work, including transposition of sectoral legislation;
- for managing other ancillary work carried out by the Section team;
- for reporting to the Deputy Director and interacting with the senior management of the Unit on matters relating to his/her Section as well as on technical and other aspects concerning the CRR and CRD IV, SSM Regulations, EBA guidelines, SSM’s Supervisory Manual, the Banking Act, the Financial Institutions Act and related Rules;
- to perform, delegate, review and/or oversee legal advisory work in designated areas of law which include inter alia the development of Banking Rules applicable to licence holders (credit and financial institutions) to address market developments and legislative changes arising from EU legislation in these sectors;
- to perform, delegate, review and/or oversee work related to the legislative process, in particular in relation to the drafting or review of draft laws and s/he will also be involved in leading work related to the preparation of replies with regards to EU proposals as well as eventual transposition of EU legislation into Maltese legislation;
- to attend and participate as may be required in local and overseas training and meetings.
- for other ad hoc legal related duties as may be required by the senior management officials of the Unit from time to time; and
- to act as a point of reference for other junior Unit staff members.
Soft Skills Required
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines
- good judgement
- ability to manage, lead and inspire a team
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative
- a high degree of self confidence
- well developed negotiation skills
Applications will be received by not later than Monday, 26th March 2018.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. The client, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at this company.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Administrative Assistant within the Banking Supervision Unit
Analyst Grade 1 (Legal Officer) within the Banking Supervision Unit
Analyst Grade 3 (Regulation and Off-Site Supervision) Securities and Markets Supervision Unit
Manager Grade 2 (Legal Officer) within the Legal & International Relations Unit
Operations and Procurement Manager (Manager Grade 1) within the Administration Unit