About Banking Supervision Unit
The Banking Supervision function within the MFSA is entrusted with the onsite and ongoing surveillance of licensed banks and non-bank financial institutions (FIs) following the issue of their licence from the Authorisation function. Banking Supervision also oversees Significant Credit Institutions (SIs) together with the European Central Bank through the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). The team is mainly made up of individuals with a strong banking background, but also many with a legal, accounting and economics background to support policy and supervisory work.
Within this role you will be primarily leading and carrying out onsite inspections conducted by Banking Supervision. Below is are some of the main duties this position will involve:
- Act as Head of Mission from time to time or form part of joint onsite inspection teams on ECB instigated missions at SIs comprising team members from the ECB itself and/or other SSM jurisdictions;
- Always act as Head of Mission for MFSA instigated onsite inspections at LSIs and FIs as part of the Banking Supervision annual inspection programme. The main purpose of these periodic on-site missions/inspections is to monitor the level of compliance with applicable regulatory standards of the licence holders and eventually the regulatory obligations emanating from the ECB/local banking and financial institutions legal framework;
- Plan the inspection’s strategy and lead the team members continuously before, during and after the onsite review and coordinate the work done by the whole team in order to draw up the onsite inspection report following the end of the review;
- Review inspection reports carried out at LSIs and FIs by Analysts/Senior Analysts as part of Banking Supervision's internal consistency checks;
- Get involved in ad hoc assignments related to specific regulatory and supervisory issues that arise from time to time and to report on the outcome of such assignments as necessary;
- Share information and assist other sections within Banking Supervision and as well as other functions within the Authority as necessary.
- You many be called upon to represent the Authority or contribute towards the operation of regulatory committees and working groups operating within the SSM, EBA or similar overseas regulatory bodies and also within the local financial services sector;
- Handle any other duties as assigned by the Head or any other delegate depending on the exigencies of Banking Supervision and the Authority, including deputising for the Deputy Head (Onsite) in the latter’s absence as necessary.
We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in Banking & Finance, Auditing/Accountancy, Economics and/or in other financial services related subjects. You will need to have academic qualification/s in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
A relevant post-graduate degree will be considered as an asset.
You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working experience in the area related to the role. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fifteen (15) years of relevant experience within the financial services environment and/or auditing, we would still be interested in speaking with you.