Senior Manager (Investment Firms and Market Infrastructures) Securities and Markets Supervision Unit
|Job Title:||Senior Manager (Investment Firms and Market Infrastructures) Securities and Markets Supervision Unit|
|Job Published:||April 26, 2018 09:47|
The Securities and Markets Supervision Unit (“the Unit”) is responsible for the supervision of investment services licence holders and market infrastructures. Inter alia the Unit supervises collective investment schemes, fund management companies, securities services operators as well as investment firms. The Unit is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets.
The Unit is tasked with maintaining the current statutes and investment services guidelines relating to securities and markets as well as the transposition of EU legislation as required from time to time.
Purpose behind the Recruitment
The MFSA is looking for applicants with an accountancy or a banking and finance background and a solid experience in the financial services sector. The eventual appointee will be appointed at senior management level and will head a multidisciplinary team of analysts/supervisors within the area of firms and markets supervision at the Securities & Markets Supervision Unit.
- A University of Malta Honours Degree or equivalent qualification in Accountancy or Banking & Finance or in other Finance related subjects or a comparable recognised qualification at NQF level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
- A relevant Post-Graduate Degree and/or related professional qualification would be considered an asset.
- Applicants would be expected to have worked within the financial services environment for a required minimum of eight (8) years, and preferably with twelve (12) years working experience.
- A sound knowledge of financial services legislation and of the financial services regulatory framework, preferably in the sector of investment firms and market infrastructures and experience within a compliance, supervisory, or analytical environment.
- Applicants are also required to have strong leadership and people management skills and the ability to manage competing priorities and a challenging workload.
The selected candidate will:
- Provide input to the Director and Deputy Director of the Unit in creating the supervisory strategy for Investment Firms and Market Infrastructures sub team;
- Proactively lead, coach and manage the members of the team, providing leadership and direction to the members of the team;
- Maintain the supervisory relationship with the major and high risk firms representing MFSA in a creditable manner;
- Adopt a full range of supervisory tasks within off-site and on-site supervision adopting a high quality of output and compliance with procedures;
- Ensure that the team implements the prudential aspects of the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation and Directive, the European Markets Infrastructure Regulation, the Securities Financing Transactions Regulations, the Capital Requirements Regulation, the Short Selling Regulation and local primary and secondary legislation relating to Investment Firms and Market Infrastructures;
- Ensure that the team oversees the Regulated Markets, CSD, and other market infrastructure ensuring that it proactively mitigates supervisory risks in a rigorous and effective manner;
- Ensure that the team oversees their portfolio of firms within its remit, ensuring that it proactively addresses regulatory issues and responds to Licence holders in a timely manner;
- Interface with other Deputy Directors, Directors, Director General and other Senior officials within the MFSA;
- Support the Deputy Director in the compilation of the onsite visit programme and help to ensure that this is delivered ensuring that the onsite team meets high regulatory standards;
- Address firm specific complex issues and problems and drive investigations where the investigation team may involve cross functional participation from other units;
- Act as a coach and mentor to members of the team ensuring that they acquire the necessary experience and motivating them to achieve their professional and development goals;
- Undertake other tasks as delegated by Director and/or Deputy Director.
Soft Skills Required
(a) Strong leadership and managerial skills to ensure optimisation and full deployment of resources providing clear direction, motivation and support to staff in the process.
(b) Self-motivated, disciplined and well organised.
(c) Ability to work on multiple assignments and projects simultaneously and ensure teams provide high quality work within strict competing deadlines.
(d) Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt style and approach to the audience being addressed.
(e) Initiative to review processes and procedures on an ongoing basis in order to work smarter and more effectively as a team.
(f) Sound analytical skills with the ability to reach reasoned judgements after analysis of complex situations.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. The client, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact email@example.com, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at this company.