Enforcement - Enforcement is responsible for reviewing the actions and where necessary conducting investigations of licence holders who have or are suspected of having committed serious compliance failures, serious misconduct or any other serious breaches of the law. This function has a cross sectorial enforcement role and covers all areas falling under the MFSA’s supervisory function. Enforcement furthermore investigates the actions of persons carrying on financial services activities without having the necessary licence or authorisation. Enforcement investigates also suspicious or dubious schemes and takes the appropriate action in such cases, including reporting suspicion of criminal activities to the police.
AML/CFT - Enforcement is responsible also for anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) supervision of MFSA licence holders. This is carried out jointly with the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) in a coordinated and integrated manner and with a risk-based approach. Supervision consists in the monitoring of compliance by MFSA licence holders with the requirements of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism Regulations and the FIAU Implementing Procedures.
International Sanctions - The remit of the Enforcement includes also the monitoring of developments in the area of international (financial) sanctions issued from time to time by the United Nations Security Council, the European Union and through national legislation. This function seeks to ensure that licence holders are aware, understand and comply with the requirements of international sanctions and other restrictive measures including sanctions lists, and provides them with information and guidance thereon.
The eventual appointee will work closely with the Head and Deputy Head and will lead and coordinate a team of analysts. The Senior Manager (Enforcement) will have a senior role in the review of actions and where necessary the conduct of investigations of entities or persons who have or are suspected of undertaking financial services activity without a licence in breach of applicable laws, regulations, rules or other regulatory requirements.
The Senior Manager (Enforcement) will also be responsible for the investigation of persons carrying on financial services activities without having the necessary licence or authorisations.
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior Manager (Enforcement) shall include:
- Oversight, coordination and leadership of investigative and enforcement teams Senior role in investigative and enforcement work
- Coordination with supervisory functions and other sectors within the MFSA Discussing investigative strategy with the Director or Deputy Director
- Collection and analysis of information, documentation and evidence
- Holding meetings with licence holders and unauthorised persons under investigation Leading on-site investigation visits and surprise inspections
- Analysing and assessing findings of investigations Identifying breaches or wrongdoing
- Preparing and/or reviewing investigation reports
- Preparation and/or review of memos for submission to the Supervisory Council Following up on decisions of the Supervisory Council
- Investigation of unauthorised business, dubious and/or fraudulent activities Preparation and/or review of notices and warnings to the public
- Preparation and/or review of reports to the police
- Other duties and tasks as may be assigned by the Director or Deputy Director.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in financial services, accountancy and/or law or in any related background in relation to the functions related to the post.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working in the area of financial services.
Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fifteen (15) years within a compliance or an investigative and/or analytical environment, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact email@example.com, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.