About Securities and Markets Supervision
The Securities and Markets Supervision section with a staff complement of 44, is responsible for supervising investment services license holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositaries, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The section is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
The candidate will supervise and manage a small close-knit team of off-site supervisors within the
Investment Firms Team, which is responsible for the off-site prudential supervision of investment firms operating under MiFID. The job accountabilities are as follows:
- Supervise and act as a reference point for a dedicated team of analysts in the off-site Investment Firm Team, in particular in relation to matters involving Investment Firms and the related EU and local directives/ regulations, namely Markets in Financial Instrument Directive, Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation, Capital Requirements Directive and Capital Requirements Regulation as transposed in the local legislation.
- Manage and supervise the reviewing of financial documentation on an on-going basis as well as overseeing the compilation of a risk monitoring system for Investment Firms.
- Handle a number of cases involving problematic licence holders from an off-site monitoring perspective and liaise with other Units/ sub-teams as necessary.
- Assume responsibility in the drafting and delivery of high quality reports in relation to offsite work, evidencing analysis of any major findings and recommending any actions.
- Undertake research, collect material information and conduct thorough analysis in relation to complex queries.
- Communicate and liaise with licence holders, national and foreign regulators as well as representing the Unit in meetings as necessary.
- Liaise with senior managers to identify and address supervisory gaps.
- Assume any other work or projects delegated by senior management.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in Law, Accountancy, Banking and Finance or in Economics or Public Policy or in another finance related background, to increase the current pool of internal expertise in Securities and Markets Supervision.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
The candidate should possess the following skill set:
- leadership skills with the ability to lead, coach and manage his direct reports to work effectively as a team;
- excellent verbal and communication skills;
- ability to cope with a large volume of off-site work, prioritise and deliver under pressure;
- sound analytical and judgemental skills; and
- ability to analyse large volumes of information, establish the salient matters and decide on the way forward.
You will also possess a minimum of five (5) years working in the area of financial services and/or compliance with financial services regulation for a number of years. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least ten (10) years of relevant experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact email@example.com, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.