28 days ago
Malta Financial Services Authority
About Securities and Markets Supervision
The Securities and Markets Supervision section with a staff complement of 37, is responsible for supervising investment services licence holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositaries, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The Unit is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
Within this role you will be supervising and mentoring a team of offsite supervisors within the Funds Team, which is responsible for desk-based supervision of fund managers, collective investment schemes, fund administrators and custodians. Your day to day responsibilities will include:
- Supervising the team and acting as a reference point, particularly in relation to matters involving the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and Undertakings for Collective Investment in Transferable Securities;
- Managing and supervising the review of financial documentation on an ongoing basis as well as overseeing the implementation of a risk based monitoring system for Funds and Fund Managers;
- Handling a number of cases involving problematic licence holders from an offsite monitoring perspective and liaising with other functions as necessary;
- Assuming responsibility for the drafting and delivery of high quality reports in relation to offsite work, evidencing analysis of any major findings and recommending any actions;
- Undertaking research, collecting material information and conducting thorough analysis in relation to complex queries;
- Dealing with licence holders, national and foreign regulators as well as representing the Function in meetings where necessary;
- Liaising with senior managers to identify and address supervisory gaps;
- Assuming any other work or projects delegated by senior management.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in Law, Accountancy, Banking and Finance or in Economics or Public Policy or in another finance related background, to increase the current pool of internal expertise in Securities and Markets Supervision.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You should also have at least five (5) years' experience working in the area of financial services and/or compliance with financial services regulation. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least ten (10) years of relevant experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
You should also have the following:
- Leadership skills with the ability to inspire, coach and manage direct reports to work effectively as a team;
- Excellent verbal and communication skills;
- Ability to cope with a large volume of off-site work, prioritising and delivering under pressure;
- Sound analytical and judgemental skills;
- Ability to analyse large volumes of information, establish the salient issues involved and decide on the way forward.