The Legal and International Relations Unit (the Unit) of the MFSA provides legal advice and services to the Board of Governors of the MFSA and to the other organs of the Authority.
The Unit is also responsible for coordinating relations with international regulators and coordinating all matters of a legal nature within the MFSA. The Unit is also be responsible for performing data protection compliance duties in terms of the Data Protection Act.
Purpose behind the Recruitment
Through this recruitment/call, the MFSA is looking for applicants with an LL.D Degree from the University of Malta who may practise as a Maltese advocate. The eventual appointee will be appointed at Manager Grade 2 level and will be required to carry other duties pertaining to the Unit.
- A University of Malta Degree in law (LL.D) or a comparable recognised legal qualification at NQF level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications
- Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*;
- Warrant to practice in the Courts of Malta as a Maltese lawyer;
- Possession of a post graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset.
- Relevant work experience, ideally as an advocate within the financial services sector for various years, with a required minimum of three (3) years and preferably with five (5) years of experience.
The selected candidate will be required to carry out legal and international relations duties pertaining to the Unit as follows:
- Perform and assist in the provision of legal advice generally, including legal guidance on supervisory issues related to investigations and enforcement, review of minded letters and final decisions;
- Assist in duties related to Government matters within the Unit, in particular in relation to coordination of feedback provided on EU legislation and other matters, cooperation and coordination with other national, European and international authorities on issues of a legal nature, and coordination of replies to parliamentary questions;
- Assist in carrying out the legislative duties of the Unit, including drafting or reviewing draft laws, coordinating the enactment process of laws insofar as concerns the MFSA and attending parliamentary sittings and committee meetings, as may be required;
- Assist in the representation of the MFSA in tribunal and court cases, including assisting the relevant Units in the preparation, drafting and filing of related documentation and coordinating with external counsel;
- Perform any other duties as may be required from time to time.
Soft Skills Required
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines
- well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- ability to both lead and work within a team
- ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative when required
- a high degree of self confidence
- negotiation skills