The eventual appointee will be reporting to a Senior Legal Officer and will be responsible for performing the following tasks:
- Provide and assist in the provision of legal advice generally, including legal guidance on supervisory and regulatory issues related to investigations and enforcement, as well as assisting in the identification and analysis of legal issues and risks;
- Vetting of MFSA documentation in relation to the imposition or proposed imposition of regulatory sanctions or measures by the Authority;
- Vetting and/or drafting of legal instruments/agreements binding the Authority;
- Assist in advisory duties related to Government matters generally, including the formulation of policies and required legislative instruments relating to the supervisory and regulatory functions of the Authority;
- Reviewing and/or drafting legislative instruments as may be necessary, following and coordinating the legislative process insofar as concerns the MFSA, including attending parliamentary sittings and committee meetings as may be required;
- Representing the MFSA in tribunal and court cases, including, where required, the preparation, drafting and filing of related documentation; assisting other Units within the MFSA in matters related to litigation or potential litigation; and briefing, instructing and coordinating with the Authority’s external legal counsel as necessary;
- To perform such other functions or duties as may be assigned.
We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in Law.
The role requires a University of Malta Degree in Law (LL.D or Master of Advocacy level) or a comparable recognised legal qualification at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Possession of a warrant to practice in the Courts of Malta and/or a post graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset.
Candidates with three (3) years (or more) working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.