About Securities and Markets Supervision
The Securities and Markets Supervision section is responsible for supervising investment services license holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositaries, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The department is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
The appointed Head of Securities & Markets Supervision (SMSU) will be responsible for the following duties:
• To lead the department and ensure that supervision is conducted in a thorough, timely and efficient manner;
• To manage the department team ensuring the appropriate distribution of work tasks and the achievement of the set KPIs for the individuals and for the team;
• To coordinate and liaise with the respective regulatory and management departments and other organs of the MFSA;
• To lead, guide, mentor and support managerial staff, analysts and support staff within the department;
• To assist staff with developing their supervisory analytical skills and ability to deal with issues relating to the affairs of the department;
• To participate in recruitment, staff training, and performance appraisal processes;
• To prepare budgets for the department;
• To maintain policies and procedures relating to the department;
• To represent the department and the Authority and participate in local and international
fora on any issues relating to the SMSU;
• To handle any other duties as assigned by the Director General and as dependent on the exigencies of the Authority.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in Financial Services, Accountancy, Law, or in another related finance background.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You will also possess a minimum of 8 years working in a similar senior role. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred. If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least 14 years of relevant experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
Candidates will also be required to demonstrate in depth knowledge of regulatory requirements applicable to the financial sector, with a proven level of managerial skills and the personality required to supervise and manage staff, as well as proven ability to delegate tasks.
Applicants should be authoritative, assertive and self-confident to carry out the responsibilities as Head of department.
Soft Skills Required
- thinks strategically;
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines;
- well-developed written and verbal communication skills;
- good leadership and managerial skills;
- ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative;
- a high degree of self-confidence;
- high level of negotiation skills;
- assertive and authoritative qualities
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.