European Affairs Officer
|Job Title:||European Affairs Officer|
|Job Published:||September 23, 2019 15:15|
The role of the European Affairs Officer is to assist the Malta Development Bank (MDB) in accessing current and future EU funding opportunities as well as in the design and development of financial instruments with the objective of supporting access to finance to enterprises and infrastructural projects in Malta.
The European Affairs Officer is also responsible for building relations with the European Institutions. The prospective candidate should keep abreast with the latest relevant EU policies and regulations in relation to State Aid and other relevant EU legislative and policy developments.
The European Affairs Officer reports to the Chief Business Development Officer.
The European Affairs Officer is responsible for:
- Acting as the MDB’s main contact person with the EU Institutions, particularly with the European Commission, the European Investment Bank, Eurostat, other National Promotional Banks and relevant associations representing EU promotional banks;
- Promoting the MDB and providing information on the MDB’s services to the interested local institutions; and
- Assisting the MDB to tap into EU financing opportunities and initiatives by developing EU financial instruments that support the Bank’s objectives.
- Identify possible EU programmes which contribute in addressing market failures in line with the MDB’s business model.
- Assist in the analysis and present recommendations on potential financial instruments and schemes to address market gaps, including multiplier impact, financial viability, feasibility studies, performance indicators and cost-benefit analysis.
- Ensure that relevant EU programmes are accessed and utilised as planned and administered adequately according to the pre-agreed terms in order to meet specified targets in terms of planned scope and timelines.
- Develop comprehensive policies and procedures regarding the EU financial programmes and initiatives, which shall include planning, evaluation, monitoring and control of EU programmes, including the appropriate corrective action framework.
- Assist in the Bank’s business model formulation and in designing and developing of financial instruments in conformity with State Aid rules and other relevant EU regulations.
- Assist in the public relations and communications aspects in relation to the latest business developments, projects, promotional and information events, including the organisation of seminars and the preparation of public awareness documentation on the role of the Bank and financial instruments.
- Establish working relationships with EU institutions and other local and external bodies on EU financial instruments and EU financial affairs.
- Collaborate with other MDB business areas, acting as the Bank’s expert on EU funding and provide the latest developments in the relevant field that are within its remit.
- To perform any other duties which may be assigned from time to time. Candidate Profile and Experience Required
- Candidates for this role must possess relevant professional qualifications in Finance, Economics, European Studies and / or Business preferably with at least seven years overall experience. A Master’s degree in European Studies, Business, Economics, Banking or Finance is preferred.
- Experience in EU funding for development projects and knowledge of EU policies are considered an asset.
- The role requires strong knowledge of financial instrument regulations, regulations in different EU funding programmes and State Aid legislation.
- Good knowledge of the concept and role of national development banks is required.
- Interested in process improvement, and motivated to seek out answers, generate ideas and develop new skills.
- Strong understanding of EU programmes and financial instruments.
- Strong research and analytical skills in identifying and addressing market failures
- and suboptimal investment situations.
- Excellent collaboration, verbal and written communication skills.
- Good in establishing positive relationships and excellent networking skills.
- Advanced analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Good interpretation of financial accounts.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of EU policies and strategy vis-à-vis policy areas that fall within the remit of the MDB.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of Malta’s vision and national strategy vis-à-vis policy areas that fall within the remit of MDB.
- Ability to carry out feasibility studies, and to evaluate and monitor such studies.
- General knowledge of regulatory and bank-specific reporting requirements for
- investments, borrowing operations and other financial instruments.
The MDB shall process information provided by candidates solely for the purpose of this vacancy. In the event of unsuccessful applications, the Bank may keep applicants’ personal data on file for a period up to six months following the date that the post applied for was filled. Applicants’ information will only be used to identify any future employment opportunities within the MDB for which applicants may be suited. Applicants are free to withdraw their application and their consent to the retention of their personal data, at any time. For further information, please read the MDB’s privacy notice which can be found on our website (https://mdb.org.mt/en/home/Pages/Privacy-Notice.aspx)
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's