Deputy Counsel – EU & International Affairs
|Job Title:||Deputy Counsel – EU & International Affairs|
|Job Published:||April 07, 2019 18:54|
About Legal & International Affairs
The Legal and International Affairs Unit is responsible for legal and international affairs relating to the MFSA. The team is responsible to provide general legal counsel across the organization relating to diverse areas including the MFSA’s functions and operations. The Unit tenders advice on various legal, contractual, strategic and operational matters as well as on issues relating to the Authority’s governance structure. The Legal team handles the coordination relating to the legislative process in the drafting of amendments or new laws and transpositions of domestic legislation under the MFSA’s governance. International engagement is another key function entrusted to this unit. The team coordinates relations and memoranda of understanding with other regulators, as well as the exchange of information resulting thereto. This unit is responsible for coordinating relations with international organizations and other foreign regulators with the aim of contributing towards the shaping of the global regulatory agenda and international policy in the field of financial services.
The eventual appointee will be reporting to the General Counsel and will be responsible for handling EU and International Affairs. The Deputy Counsel engaged in this position will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Creating/maintaining a stakeholder engagement strategy with key stakeholders in order for the MFSA to contribute and influence the shaping of the international regulatory agenda in the financial services sector;
- Conducting Jurisdictional scanning of key regulatory developments and positions, and any comparative assessments as may be required on relevant dossiers being discussed at an international and political level affecting directly/indirectly the financial services sector;
- Assisting in the Drafting and negotiation of Memoranda of Understanding with International Regulators and relevant Bodies;
- Coordinating exchange of information requests from other regulatory authorities and bodies pursuant to an MOU or as permitted by law;
- Serving as a Point of contact with Ministries so as to coordinate the feedback and position of the MFSA on any required dossiers being discussed at a national level affecting directly/indirectly the sectors falling under the remit of the Authority;
- Representing the MFSA within local, European and International fora as required;
- Keeping track of European and International developments in the Financial Services Sector and related sectors and analysing any relevant documentation (including consultation documents) issued by the European and International institutions and other bodies;
- Preparing briefing notes on relevant dossiers being discussed as may be required;
- Assisting in the MFSA PR and Communications strategy (internal and external);
- Assisting in ensuring MFSA units/staff are kept abreast with international developments;
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background (ideally including a post-graduate qualification) in Law, EU, policy and/or in another finance related background.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working experience in a related area. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fourteen (14) years of relevant experience in a related area, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact email@example.com, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.
Find more jobs in Malta
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's