As a Mauritian-based holding company of the Group, my client has banking and finance activities in five SADC countries, namely Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The monitoring of the compliance processes and methodology in all the businesses to ensure regulatory and financial crime compliance throughout the different business units, as well as the implementation, alignment and embedding of the compliance training requirements in the business. Ensuring that the compliance function delivers the compliance and financial crime deliverables required.
Technical skills / Competencies
- Intellectual and analytical skills of a high order. He/she is likely to be a graduate and / or have a professional qualification.
- The strength of character, credibility and personal presence and the communication skills to operate confidently and effectively at senior levels both internally and externally.
- The flexibility to appreciate the commercial objectives of the business, coupled with an ability to challenge, independently and constructively, senior management, peers or other staff where appropriate, to insist upon adherence to the highest standards of business practice and to the requirements of relevant authorities. Tact and sensitivity as well as strength and authority are important.
- Ability to use initiative and work with minimum supervision but ensuring, at the same time, that the line reports are kept fully informed at all times.
- Ability to consider issues from a range of angles and propose creative solutions that assist the business in achieving its goals in a safe, compliant and controlled manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with senior internal and external audiences – to educate, persuade, negotiate, gain decisions, enforce.
- Ability to influence senior management.
- Ability to make a real contribution in a rapidly changing environment and thrive on change and the need to learn rapidly.
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
- Wide-ranging compliance experience in a financial services environment.
- Good understanding of current and anticipated UK, European and other countries’ requirements and supervisory expectations.
- Experience in policy setting and roll out.
- Experience in compliance, preferably with an international exposure.
- Graduate and / or have a relevant professional business qualification.
- Anticipates standards required in the future and works on them now.
- Endlessly admired by customers for the standard of service provided.
- In depth knowledge of functional areas and products and services offered.
- Uses a variety of communication methods – but gets complex messages across simply.