The Role of Chief Risk Officer
The eventual appointee will be joining a multidisciplinary team involved in analysing risk within the MFSA. The individual will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- To oversee the running of the operations within the Risk Management function including the delivery of timely and efficient service to internal and external stakeholders.
- To manage the Risk Management team to ensure the appropriate distribution of work tasks and the achievement of the set KPIs for the individuals and for the team.
- To oversee and participate in general management functions, including management meetings, participation in the relevant Committees and Councils, the recruitment of team members, and the handling of the Authority's performance management process for the Risk Management function.
- To provide strategic input and direction in relation to the risk appetite for the Authority, and ensuring that operational activities are carried out in alignment with the set risk appetite.
- To ensure that the defined risk appetite is compliant with requirements as set by the European Supervisory Authorities (ESAs) including the ECB, EBA, EIOPA and ESMA.
- Liaise with the senior management team, offering contribution and support in relation to risk and quality standards.
- Oversee the setting up and maintenance of the MFSA Quality Standards.
- Review internal processes and procedures and offer recommendations as to how these can be improved through risk and quality perspectives.
- Promote a culture of quality and accountability in such a way as to allow the Authority to establish high standards of trust.
- To handle responsibilities for budgeting (capital expenditure and operational expenditure) in relation to the Risk Management and Quality Assurance function.
- We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in Risk Management or in another related background.
- The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
- You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working in a similar senior role and preferably with twelve (12) years in a senior role in the financial services sector.