About Securities and Markets Supervision
The Securities and Markets Supervision section with a staff complement of 44, is responsible for supervising investment services license holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositaries, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The Unit is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
The jobholder will form part of the Off-Site Compliance within the Funds Team at the Securities and Markets Supervision. The individual will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Act as a relationship manager for a portfolio of licence holders, corresponding directly with these counterparties, reporting findings and resolving issues as they arise.
- Use judgement to identify high risk cases and prioritising accordingly, escalating issues when necessary to senior management.
- Perform analytical reviews to observe the level of compliance by licence holders with the applicable regulatory standards and regulatory obligations emanating from the relevant EU directives.
- Assume responsibility for record management, take ownership of diary management in relation to offsite supervision and ensure prompt follow up of regulatory returns which are not submitted.
- Undertake reviews of financial regulatory returns (including COREP), audited financial statements and analyse other data/packs forming part of offsite supervision.
- Conduct desk based reviews to determine whether licence holders are compliant with local primary and secondary legislation as well as regulations relating to investment services as updated from time to time.
- Communicate and liaise with licence holders on day-to-day off-site related matters and attend meetings as necessary.
- Undertake other supervisory tasks or projects as delegated by line management.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in Law, Accountancy, Banking and Finance or in Economics or Public Policy or in another finance related background, to increase the current pool of internal expertise in Securities and Markets Supervision.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
The candidate should possess the following skill set:
- ability to multi-task and work on own initiative;
- ability to work in a team;
- excellent verbal and communication skills;
- ability to prioritise and deliver under pressure; and
- sound analytical and judgemental skills.
You will also possess a minimum of three (3) years working in the area of financial services and/or compliance with financial services regulation for a number of years. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least seven (7) years of relevant experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.