Analyst Grade 2 (International Sanctions) within the Enforcement Unit
|Job Title:||Analyst Grade 2 (International Sanctions) within the Enforcement Unit|
|Job Published:||February 27, 2018 12:55|
Vacancy for Analyst Grade 2 (International Sanctions) within the Enforcement Unit
The specific information being provided below is in addition to and complements the basic details included in the relevant public call for the vacancy in question.
The Enforcement Unit
Enforcement - The Enforcement Unit is responsible for reviewing the actions and where necessary conducting investigations of licence holders who have or are suspected of having committed serious compliance failures, serious misconduct or any other serious breaches of the law. The Enforcement Unit has a cross sectorial enforcement role and covers all areas falling under the MFSA’s supervisory function. The Enforcement Unit furthermore investigates the actions of persons carrying on financial services activities without having the necessary licence or authorisation. The Unit investigates also suspicious or dubious schemes and takes the appropriate action in such cases, including reporting suspicion of criminal activities to the police.
AML/CFT - The Enforcement Unit is responsible also for anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) supervision of MFSA licence holders. This consists in the supervision of compliance by MFSA licence holders with the requirements of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism Regulations and the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) Implementing Procedures. Supervision is carried out by the MFSA jointly with the FIAU in a coordinated and integrated manner and with a risk-based approach.
International Sanctions - The remit of the Enforcement Unit includes also the monitoring of developments in the area of international (financial) sanctions issued from time to time by the United Nations Security Council, the European Union and through national legislation. The Unit seeks to ensure that licence holders are aware, understand and comply with the requirements of international sanctions and other restrictive measures including sanctions lists, and provides them with information and guidance thereon.
Purpose behind the Recruitment
Through this recruitment, the MFSA is looking for applicants with a relevant academic background and experience to form part of the AML/CFT Section of the Enforcement Unit and to assist and support the Director on matters related to the implementation of international sanctions primarily related to Al Qaeda, terrorism, financing of terrorism and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. The eventual appointee will be appointed at management level (Analyst 2).
- A University of Malta Honours Degree or equivalent qualification in a financial services related discipline or in an area which is otherwise considered relevant to the functions and duties attached to this post, or in Law (LL.D), or a comparable recognised qualification at NQF level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
- A relevant Post-Graduate Degree would be considered as an advantage.
Candidates are expected to have:
- work experience, ideally within the financial services sector for a number of years, with a required minimum of three (3) years and preferably with five (5) years;
- a knowledge of Maltese anti-terrorism/combating financing of terrorism legislation and awareness of UN and EU sanctions, in particular sanctions related to Al Qaeda, terrorism, and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and experience related to international sanctions and their implementation for a minimum of two (2) years;
- and preferably familiarity with applicable international conventions and standards.
The Analyst 2 (International Sanctions) will form part of the AML/CFT Section of the Enforcement Unit and will work closely with, assist and support the Director.
The duties and responsibilities of the Analyst 2 (International Sanctions) shall include:
- Follow international and national developments on sanctions
- Keep up to date with new UN, EU and national sanctions issued from time to time
- Keep up to date with amendments to sanctions and amendments to sanctions lists
- Review and analyse UN, EU, national and US (OFAC) sanctions
- Pay special attention to terrorism-related financial sanctions
- Provide sanctions-related advice, guidance and assistance to MFSA staff and licence holders
- Disseminate relevant information to MFSA staff and licence holders
- Prepare notices / circulars / guidance to licence holders on sanctions matters
- Review and drafting of sanctions-related legislation as required
- Liaison and coordination with Sanctions Monitoring Board (SMB)
- Ensure all sanctions and amendments are published on MFSA website and upkeep of MFSA website page on sanctions
- Collect information on frozen assets
- Reply to due diligence requests related to sanctions
- Monitor names of newly listed persons
- Attend meetings of the Sanctions Monitoring Board as necessary
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Soft Skills Required
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines;
- very good written and verbal communication skills;
- ability to work within a team;
- ability to work on own initiative;
- ability to draft legal documents including legislation;
- a high degree of self-confidence;
- assertive qualities.
Applications will be received by not later than Monday, 26th March 2018.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. The client, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at this company.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Analyst Grade 1 (Legal Officer) within the Banking Supervision Unit
Manager Grade 2 (Legal Officer) within the Legal & International Relations Unit
Analyst 2 (Legal Officer) within the Regulatory Development Unit
ICT Support Officer (Clerk Grade 2) within the ICT Unit
Operations and Procurement Manager (Manager Grade 1) within the Administration Unit