20 days ago
Malta Financial Services Authority
Vacancy for Analyst Grade 2 (Anti-Money Laundering & Combating Financing of Terrorism - Legal) within the Enforcement Unit
The specific information being provided below is in addition to and complements the basic details included in the relevant public call for the vacancy in question.
The Enforcement Unit
Enforcement - The Enforcement Unit is responsible for reviewing the actions and where necessary conducting investigations of licence holders who have or are suspected of having committed serious compliance failures, serious misconduct or any other serious breaches of the law. The Enforcement Unit has a cross sectorial enforcement role and covers all areas falling under the MFSA’s supervisory function. The Enforcement Unit furthermore investigates the actions of persons carrying on financial services activities without having the necessary licence or authorisation. The Unit investigates also suspicious or dubious schemes and takes the appropriate action in such cases, including reporting suspicion of criminal activities to the police.
AML/CFT - The Enforcement Unit is responsible also for anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) supervision of MFSA licence holders. This consists in the supervision of compliance by MFSA licence holders with the requirements of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism Regulations and the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) Implementing Procedures. Supervision is carried out by the MFSA jointly with the FIAU in a coordinated and integrated manner and with a risk-based approach.
International Sanctions - The remit of the Enforcement Unit includes also the monitoring of developments in the area of international (financial) sanctions issued from time to time by the United Nations Security Council, the European Union and through national legislation. The Unit seeks to ensure that licence holders are aware, understand and comply with the requirements of international sanctions and other restrictive measures including sanctions lists, and provides them with information and guidance thereon.
Purpose behind the Recruitment
Through this recruitment, the MFSA is looking for applicants with a legal academic background to form part of the AML/CFT Section of the Enforcement Unit and to assist and support the Director on various matters of a legal nature. The eventual appointee will be appointed at management level (Analyst 2).
- A Degree in Law (LL.D), or a comparable recognised qualification at NQF level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
- A warrant to practice as a lawyer in Malta.
- A relevant Post-Graduate Degree would be considered as an advantage.
Candidates are expected to have:
- Relevant AML/CFT work experience, ideally within the financial services sector and in the implementation of the applicable legislation and standards, for various years, with a required minimum of three (3) years and preferably with five (5) years;
- a sound knowledge of Maltese anti-money laundering and combating financing of terrorism legislation;
- and to be familiar with international AML/CFT standards, including the FATF 40 Recommendations and the EU Anti-Money Laundering Directive.
The Analyst 2 (Anti-Money Laundering & Combating Financing of Terrorism - Legal) will form part of the AML/CFT Section of the Enforcement Unit and will work closely with, assist and support the Director.
The duties and responsibilities of the Analyst 2 (Anti-Money Laundering & Combating Financing of Terrorism - Legal) shall include:
- Following international AML/CFT developments
- Following FATF work and review and analysis of FATF publications on standards, methodology, guidance, best practices, typologies and risk indicators
- Following the work of MONEYVAL and attending MONEYVAL meetings when required
- Keeping up to date with AML/CFT-related work of EU institutions, including the European Supervisory Authorities, and review and analysis of relevant EU Regulations, Directives, Guidelines and other publications
- Prepare replies to FATF, MONEYVAL and EU questionnaires on AML/CFT matters
- Disseminate relevant information to supervisory staff and subject persons
- Liaison with the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit as necessary
- Review and/or drafting of AML/CFT-related legislation including for the purpose of transposition of Directives and compliance with international standards
- Provide technical assistance and support on AML/CFT matters to MFSA staff and subject persons
- Prepare notices / circulars / guidance to subject persons on AML/CFT matters
- Assist in the provision of AML/CFT training
- Assist in the MONEYVAL evaluation
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Soft Skills Required
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines;
- very good written and verbal communication skills;
- ability to work within a team;
- ability to work on own initiative;
- ability to draft legal documents including legislation;
- a high degree of self-confidence;
- assertive qualities.
Applications will be received by not later than Monday, 26th March 2018.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. The client, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact email@example.com, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at this company.