The MFSA is looking for applicants with an accountancy or a banking and finance or in other finance related or legal background to increase the current pool of internal expertise in the Securities and Markets Supervision Unit. The eventual appointee will be appointed at Analyst Grade 1 level and will form part of the Off-Site Compliance within Funds Team at the Securities and Markets Supervision Unit.
- A University Honours Degree or equivalent qualification in Accountancy or in Banking & Finance or in other Finance related subjects or a Degree in Law (LL.D) or a comparable recognised finance qualification at NQF level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta. Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)*.
- Previous experience in financial services sector, specifically in compliance or fund services/related firm would be considered an asset.
The selected candidate will:
- Act as a relationship manager for a portfolio of licence holders, corresponding directly with these counterparties, reporting findings and resolving issues as they arise;
- Use judgement to identify high risk cases and prioritising accordingly, escalating issues when necessary to senior management;
- Perform analytical reviews to observe the level of compliance by licence holders with the applicable regulatory standards and regulatory obligations emanating from the relevant EU directives;
- Assume responsibility for record management and reporting to ESMA and other regulators;
- Undertake reviews of financial regulatory returns, audited financial statements and analyse other data/packs forming part of offsite supervision;
- Engage with licence holders in respect of issues identified in the review of financial documentation and actively follow up resolution;
- Take ownership of diary management in relation to offsite supervision and ensure prompt follow up of regulatory returns which are not submitted when due;
- Contribute on the implementation of local primary and secondary legislation relating to funds and their service providers coming into force from time to time;
- Undertake other supervisory work as delegated by line management.
Soft Skills Required
- Ability to analyse information with attention to detail, make judgements and raise researched, well-grounded recommendations for review by senior management;
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills, with ability to work on a variety of tasks with different priorities and deadlines and escalating matters where necessary;
- Strong team player with the ability to effectively contribute and work actively with others so that team deliverables are met;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate confidently and convincingly with peers, senior management and licence holders, as may be necessary;
- Must be able to work to tight deadlines and a self-starter with the ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision and support, where necessary.