over 1 year ago
Malta Financial Services Authority
Unfortunately this job has now expired. However you can view all of our Live jobs here.
About Securities and Markets Supervision
The Securities and Markets Supervision section with a staff complement of 44, is responsible for supervising investment services license holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositaries, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The Unit is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
The Senior Manager will:
- Supervise the offsite supervision and enhanced supervision teams ensuring early identification of problematic investment funds, fund managers, custodians and fund administrators in order to adopt a proactive approach to offsite supervision;
- Use experience, knowledge and professional judgement to analyse complex cases which require supervisory intervention as the circumstances dictate;
- Prepare and/or sign off sensitive and complex internal reports submitted to Executive Council (“ExCo”) or any delegated committee of ExCo and follow up actions and decisions taken by the said ExCo or any delegated committee, including recommendations for early intervention measures;
- Engage with licence holders at a senior level (Board of Directors, CEO, COO, CIO, etc.) with the gravitas and credibility that is expected by a regulator;
- Give material input at formulating supervisory strategy and ensure responsibility and ownership for the implementation of a number of strategic initiatives;
- Mentor and train his/her direct reports and act as their role model – provide upward support to the Deputy Head and Head of the Department as may be required; and
- Undertake other assignments by Deputy Head and Head of the Department in line with the exigencies of the unit and organisation;
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in financial services or any other related relevant background.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working in the area of Securities and in a similar senior role, preferably in regulatory compliance. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fifteen years of relevant experience in a senior similar role, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
The candidate should possess the following skill set:
- Ability to analyse complex situations and critically assess information in order to arrive at a soundly based judgement to a course of action the Authority should adopt;
- Time management skills to cope with high work volumes, assess priorities and give attention to the most high risk/ high impact cases in a risk-based manner and ensuring tight deadlines are met;
- Challenge views etc. intelligently and constructively, showing a high degree of assertiveness in the process;
- Sound communication skills notably written ones with the ability to raise reports to ExCo and other Authority senior executives or committees, as may be required;
- Ability to lead and organise work of direct reports assigned, ensuring that these are coached, mentored and motivated to deliver and meet team objectives.