12 months ago
07 May 00:00
Malta Financial Services Authority
About Market Intelligence and Research
The Market Intelligence and Research function (the Function), set up within the Strategy,
Policy and Innovation Directorate, is tasked with monitoring the development of the financial services industry in general and the regulatory frameworks in other jurisdictions. This is a new function under the Authority’s organisational structure, the aim of which is to collect market intelligence and to keep the Authority informed on how the regulatory framework in Malta may be further developed to always be proactive to international developments. The Function will also be responsible to prepare and issue publications on trends in financial regulation, supervision and the financial services sector generally. The Function will be tasked with research in specific fields of financial regulation and supervision to ensure that this is translated into a strategic resource for the Authority.
The appointed Head of Market Intelligence and Research will be responsible for the following duties:
- Set up the Market Intelligence and Research function;
- Monitor the development of the financial services sector in general and ensure that the Authority’s regulatory framework is kept up to date;
- Carry out research on all relevant fields of financial regulation and supervision;
- Enhance the Authority’s knowledge bank through research and appropriate internal communication;
- Draft publications to be issued by the Authority, including the MFSA’s annual report, business and strategic plans and research publications, and liaising with the Communications function as necessary;
- Prepare information dashboards for senior management, on inter alia new licenses issued, on-site inspections, and fines;
- Prepare official communications to be issued by the Authority, including press releases, speeches and aide memoirs on relevant issues of financial regulation and supervision;
- Develop good relations with the financial services industry and institutions, and where necessary create forums for the exchange of views and consultation;
- Participate in local, EU, and international fora in relation to financial regulation and supervision, including the relevant Committees of the European Supervisory Authorities;
- Manage the Function’s teams ensuring the appropriate distribution of work tasks and the achievement of the set KPIs for the individuals and for the team;
- Lead, guide, mentor and support managerial staff, analysts and support staff within the Function;
- Assist staff with developing their supervisory analytical skills and ability to deal with issues relating to the affairs of the Function;
- Participate in recruitment, staff training, and performance appraisal processes;
- Prepare budgets for the Function;
- Maintain policies and procedures relating to the Function; and
- Handle any other duties as assigned by the Chief Officer - Strategy, Policy and Innovation depending on the Authority’s exigencies.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic qualifications in financial services, accountancy, law, or related academia.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
You will also possess a minimum of 8 years working in a senior role. Solid work experience relevant to the role will be considered an asset. If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least 14 years of relevant work experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
Candidates will also be required to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of regulatory requirements applicable to the financial sector, with a proven level of managerial skills and the personality required to lead and manage direct reports.
Soft Skills Required
- thinks strategically;
- ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines;
- well-developed written and verbal communication skills;
- good leadership and managerial skills;
- ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative;
- a high degree of self-confidence;
- high level of negotiation skills;
- assertive and authoritative qualities.
Experience working with a regulatory Authority will be considered an asset.
*Dear Candidate, kindly note that this role is not managed by Castille. MFSA, in this case, is responsible to manage the application process. In case of any difficulties, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will direct your query to the relevant contact at MFSA.