6 months ago
20 Oct 00:00
Malta Financial Services Authority
Financial Crime Compliance is responsible for anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) supervision of MFSA licence holders. This is carried out jointly with the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) in a coordinated and integrated manner and with a risk-based approach. Supervision consists in the monitoring of compliance by MFSA licence holders with the requirements of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism Regulations and the FIAU Implementing Procedures. International Sanctions - The remit of the department includes also the monitoring of developments in the area of international (financial) sanctions issued from time to time by the United Nations Security Council, the European Union and through national legislation. This function seeks to ensure that licence holders are aware, understand and comply with the requirements of international sanctions and other restrictive measures including sanctions lists, and provides them with information and guidance thereon.
The selected candidate will be responsible for ensuring operational compliance with AML/CFT internal policies and external laws and regulations that the licence holders are subject to, in order to prevent money laundering and terrorism financing.
The role will involve frequent communication and reporting of AML/CFT risk management activity to the Chief Officer Supervision and to senior management within the Authority.
You will be seen as a subject matter expert and provide advice to senior executives and country AML teams on AML issues.
The individual will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Develop and assist in the implementation of an upgrade in AML strategy;
- Work closely with the current AML/CFT team and focus on setting a vision of where the MFSA needs to be and how to get there;
- Take an active role in strengthening the AML/CFT team by getting involved in the recruitment and training of staff, including the area of sanction monitoring;
- Provide AML training across the prudential and conduct as well as authorisation teams to bridge any gaps between these aspects of supervision and the AML supervisory side;
- Assist in any transaction monitoring as may be necessary on any forensic reports and/or supervisory work;
- Engage and represent the MFSA as necessary with other entities in Malta and abroad with whom the MFSA shares responsibility for AML;
- Provide guidance through MFSA on necessary developments that are required to improve AML supervision and financial crime compliance at a national level;
- Promote a culture of quality and accountability in such a way as to allow the Authority to establish high standards of trust.
- To handle responsibilities for budgeting in relation to this function.
We are looking for candidates with solid experience in AML supervision and compliance. The successful candidate will have previous experience as MLRO or other related senior positions. Candidates are expected to possess a minimum of eight (8) years working in a similar senior role. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred. If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fourteen (14) years of relevant experience in a related area, we would still be interested in speaking with you. The successful candidate will also have significant experience of managing teams and engage with internal and external stakeholders.
You will have in depth understanding of AML/CFT legislation and regulation and their impact. The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.