10 months ago
Malta Development Bank
Unfortunately this job has now expired. However you can view all of our Live jobs here.
The role of the Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Dep CEO) of the Malta Development Bank (MDB) is to support the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in the overall direction, management and administration of all aspects of the Bank’s operations including its programmes, products and services as well as all aspects of the Bank’s fiduciary, financial and operating performance in support of the strategic objectives of the Bank.
The Dep CEO will work closely with the CEO to create the management practices that enable a high performing and effective executive team. The Dep CEO reports directly to the CEO.
OVERALL ORGANISATION LEADERSHIP
The role of Dep CEO is to work closely with the CEO to align the full MBD team around the strategic objectives of the Bank, ensuring that all of the Bank’s efforts are delivering consistently against these objectives in a tangible, efficient and effective manner.
- Contributes to the strategic and operational direction of the Bank’s executive management.
- Works towards the achievement of the MDB’s strategic objectives, working to balance short term results with long term sustainability.
- Provides clear verbal and behavioural signals that serve to define the Bank’s business and management culture in the context of its strategic objectives.
- Contributes to establish clear and consistent management practices across the Bank to ensure an effective and cohesive management team.
BUSINESS PLANNING AND RESOURCE ALLOCATION
The Dep CEO, in coordination with the CEO, is responsible for driving the development, refinement and implementation of the Bank’s business strategy. This requires effective planning and resource allocation.
- Provides recommendations for the formulation of strategic direction and target setting for the Bank.
- Supports the CEO in the preparation and implementation of the strategic and annual plans and ensures that these are formally updated on a regular basis, as well as whenever necessary to reflect significant changes.
- Contributes to the development of sound business plans that support the overall objectives of the Bank.
- Makes resource allocation decisions and supports initiatives that further the Bank’s achievement of its strategic objectives.
GOVERNANCE AND BOARD COMMUNICATIONS
The Dep CEO is responsible for providing well-founded, fact-based and documented advice on all matters pertaining to the operations of the Bank.
The Dep CEO:
- Prepares reports for the CEO and the Board, identifying issues, apparent problems, opportunities and service gaps, and recommends initiatives and amendments to policies and programmes, as required.
- Consistently monitors management information reports identifying issues, challenges, opportunities and service gaps, and directs the executive management team to follow up.
- Prepares, in conjunction with the relative business unit, the basis for decisions on loans, funding, financial instruments and investment management to be taken by the Board.
- Provides advice on matters concerning development of and changes in business development, lending policies, investment strategy, asset management, investment risk and pricing thereof, performance benchmarks, loan/investment limits and other operating parameters.
- Takes action to mitigate legal risks associated with contracts and documentation across all parts of the Bank’s operations. ▪ Contributes to the development and implementation of internal guidelines to support the integration of social, environmental and corporate governance issues into the management process, aligned with internationally recognised principles.
FINANCIAL AND GENERAL MANAGEMENT
The Dep CEO supports the CEO in the administration of the Bank and contributes to the development of an appropriate organisational framework to support the Bank’s business strategy. The incumbent is responsible to ensure that financial controls are in place to enable sound financial management practices. As such the Dep CEO:
- Contributes, in coordination with the CEO, to the maintenance of an appropriate management structure within the Bank.
- Develops, in collaboration with the CEO, the Bank’s business plan and aims for optimisation of the sourcing and application of financial resources in pursuance of the Bank’s strategic objectives over the medium and longer term.
- Ensures that the Bank operates in a cost-effective manner and proposes an annual budget and cost framework for activities that enhances sustainability.
- Oversees and provides guidance on financial reporting and accounting, including records to the Board, for the preparation of monthly and quarterly management accounts and annual financial statements as well as medium term financial projections in line with applicable accounting rules and the Bank’s accounting policies.
- Manages, in conjunction with the CEO, the Bank’s general administration and dayto-day operations, taking care of all functions relating to the operation of all business units, including the maintenance of relationships with regulatory authorities and stakeholders as well as the facilitation of representation arrangements.
HUMAN RESOURCES AND ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Dep CEO, together with the CEO, is responsible for the organisational development and personnel management of all employees within the Bank.
- Supports the Board in the recruitment of the Bank’s leadership team and key positions within the Bank’s structure.
- Motivates and develops employees so that the Bank has the human resources and competence to ensure high professional standards.
- Defines and documents the primary responsibilities for the Bank’s leadership team.
- Provides guidance and supports the Board Committee responsible for remuneration policy in the formulation of human resources policy for the Bank’s employees, including personnel services, based on the overall governance framework of the Bank.
- Recommends compensation arrangements which ensure recruitment of competent personnel for positions at all levels in the Bank in accordance with the principles for compensation of Bank employees as recommended by the Board’s Committee responsible for the remuneration and approved by the Board.
- Supports the Committee responsible for the remuneration in the annual review of the compensation arrangements, including benchmarking against peers in the local market.
The Dep CEO, in liaison with the CEO, may utilise the services of third party providers to achieve the strategic direction of the Bank, subject to the prior approval of the Board.
For this to be effectively managed, the Dep CEO will:
- Establish guidelines regarding outsourcing, where necessary, and organise the appropriate prudent selection processes.
- Perform monitoring and control activities to oversee the performance of external service providers.
RISK AND COMPLIANCE
The Dep CEO, in conjunction with the CEO, is responsible for establishing internal risk and compliance systems and procedures, appropriate for the Bank’s funds and assets under management, in accordance with the principles and policy laid down by the Board and the guidelines set by the Risk Management Committee and Audit Committee.
- Ensures that assets are managed within the constraints laid down by the Bank and that restrictions are regularly monitored for compliance.
- Monitors the Bank’s Risk and Governance systems to ensure that assets are managed in a manner that fully complies, in both spirit and letter, with the applicable rules, regulations and legislation and with the policies set by the Board.
- Provides support to the Chief Risk Officer to ensure the development of satisfactory risk systems and control procedures for investment and credit management which meet internationally recognised best-practice standards, including systems for the management of market, credit, counterparty and operational risks, valuation and measurement of returns.
- Establishes and maintains contingency plans for the Bank’s operations.
- Supervises the organisation of the Bank’s operations in such a way to ensure the proper safeguards regarding the confidentiality of information on the Bank’s operations with individual clients in compliance with GDPR.
- Recommends appropriate requirements and procedures governing the code of conduct of Bank employees in accordance with the ethical rules laid down by the Board and ensures such rules are observed.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
The Dep CEO contributes to the effective external communication of the Bank’s activities together with reporting to meet the requirements established by any relevant authorities and the Board.
- Develops relationships with key stakeholders as well as the general public.
- Oversees and guides the preparation and publication of external quarterly and annual reports on the Bank’s activities, in accordance with the requirements laid down by the Board's principles for organisation and management and with international best practice.
- Presents, in liaison with the Chairperson and the CEO, the Bank’s views and provides information on its operations in internal and external fora.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a career that includes over 15 years of experience in a banking and finance environment, with a diverse set of experiences associated with the management of financial services products and distribution.
More explicitly, the Dep CEO must be a proven senior executive with a successful track record. The candidate would require extensive cross-functional banking and finance experience encompassing risk management (credit, operational, balance sheet and reputational), asset/liability management, operations, and customer acquisition and product development. Exposure to multiple distribution channels with an emphasis on development banking would be an advantage.
Competences and Qualifications
A solid academic record is essential with, ideally, post-graduate qualifications.
Other key expectations include:
- An outstanding track record of achievement demonstrated through business results.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and develop a high performance culture in organisations.
- Proven ability to develop and execute enterprise wide initiatives, assemble effective management teams, lead high performance organisations, and achieve profitable and sustainable growth.
- Experience in launching greenfield projects especially related to development finance and private equity funding.
- Knowledge of regulatory and legal requirements affecting business decisions.
The successful candidate must possess the following critical competencies:
- Ability to focus on clear goals and achieving targets.
- Ability to understand market trends and the external environment.
- Ability to understand customers’ business objectives and needs.
- Builds and mentors a strong, motivated, collegial, diverse team of executives, with multiple perspectives, to achieve collective success.
- Demonstrates the ability to inspire respect and trust and balances confident leadership with a willingness to listen and learn.
- Possesses the ability to influence others through the appropriate combination of stature, conviction, enthusiasm, engagement, empathy and logic when presenting opportunities, problems and recommendations.
- Ability to see the relationship and implications of immediate actions and shortterm choices on the long-term strategies and results of the organisation.
- Ability to work through others to achieve corporate objectives.
- Strong focus on interdependence and working effective teams.
- A natural communicator able to motivate and align staff through open and honest communication that is backed up with personal action.
- Highest level of integrity and ethics. • A sense of urgency, results orientation and demonstrated thoughtful but deliberate execution skills.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with a bias for action and implementation.
- A robust, confident personality and who adapts well to change.