TRADE BASED MONEY LAUNDERING (TBML) DETECTION & PREVENTION
CPE: Pending approval
8.00am until 5.00pm
Castille, Casa Leone, Floriana
Trade based money laundering is one of the most prevalent yet hidden forms of money laundering. A crime that both disguises and billions in criminal proceeds.
Therefore this course is essential for finance professionals, regulators, auditors, investigators, intelligence officers, compliance officers, and operations’ managers.
Specifically, the course covers business-to-business risk (including cross border business relationships and operations) and how trade-based money laundering is a wheel of organised crime. Equally, the attractiveness and vulnerability of each trade channel, and products used to disguise and move criminal proceeds.
- The course takes a thorough and practical delivery approach. We will use presentations, skills, interactive group activities, multi-directional discussions and case studies which differ in involvement and complexity.
- A full case study will be issued as a ‘walkthrough’ of the program content
Delegates will apply positive responses and outcomes to the following challenges:
- Identify crimes that are the ‘trigger points’ of money laundering, such as fraud and corruption
- Handling trade and finance-related documentations and systems which represent money laundering risk
- Identifying where and how your organization has been caught up in trade-based money laundering
- Red flag suspicious activity and indicators of cross border international trade transactions
- Managing everyday issues in business which carry trade- based money laundering risk
0800 – 0830 Welcome and Registration
0830 – 0900 Introduction to Trade Based Money Laundering
0900 – 1000 Detection
- money laundering defined
- ‘No money, no laundering’ - Predicate crimes?
- Trade-based money laundering. Clear examples and concepts
- Key money laundering detection skills
- Nature and value of payment – ordinary course of business?
1030 – 1045 Coffee Break
1045 – 1215 Detection
- Appraising a large-scale TBML scenario
- Originator; behaviours
- Beneficiary: behaviours
1215 – 1300 Lunch Break
1300 – 1500 Prevention
A brief review of the (applicable) global legal framework
Enhanced due diligence and screening
Third parties and operation. Vulnerability to compliance risk ‘Product compliance’ risk
New and emerging methods of TBML
Trade Based money laundering risk governance (including sanctions)
1500 – 1515 Coffee Break
1515 – 1615 Case Study with extended international trade-based money laundering scenario
1615 – 1700 Open Q & A Session tying in all points of the course
About the Speaker
Ian Ross has 30 years’ experience in compliance management and the investigation of financial crime. A former UK police officer now established in key international commercial sectors. Supporting regulators, main industries, national banks, multi-national corporate entities, and international law enforcement.
- Accredited Counter Fraud Specialist (ACFS)
- ‘Listed expert’: Cour pénale international (The International Court of Justice (The Hague)
- Fellow: Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- Trainer: ‘ACAMS’
A highly sought-after global trainer, specializing in investigations, compliance, and anti-fraud, corruption and money laundering policies and process.
A regular presenter at international events and conferences.